Thursday, 5 March 2015

Flower Pressing

When I was younger, my parents bought me a flower pressing contraption (I say contraption because it was the most confusing thing to use) and I was so excited at the prospect of being able to keep pretty flowers, pretty - before they withered and died. 
Growing up, in the summer our garden was always filled with as many colourful flowers that could possibly fill baskets hanging from walls. My dad was a keen gardener (when he wasn't working hard commuting to and from London each day for his job) and so there was always plenty to choose from.

Steps to press flowers are so easy, and you don't need to go out and purchase any special equipment. Of course, there is a professional way to do this which requires a lot of dedication I'm sure, as well as specific utensils to facilitate the precision and ultimate outcome. However this is the quickest, cheapest way to create pressed flower art. Some people will ask 'why?', and I have two words for you - 'why not?'. The end results look great and can be used in so many ways; I use the flowers to decorate notebooks! Buy a plain notebook, place the flowers onto the book's exterior and encase with clear book cover film.

You can call me Grandma Gray! 



Try and cut as much of the flower's stem off in order to create a fairly flat surface. 

With these yellow roses, I 'spread' the flower out prior to pressing so that the darker centre is visible. 


Place the prepped flowers in between a sheet of paper.


Place the folded sheet (with the flowers in between) in the middle of a heavy book. If you've chosen fairly fresh flowers, the process will take a little longer. Leave for however many weeks it takes and keep checking until you achieve the desired outcome. 


Here's one I made earlier! (Who used to love watching Art Attack?)
This was left to press for around three to four weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment